Emmabuntüs Forum
Collectif pour le réemploi des ordinateurs et distribution Linux basée sur Debian

Accueil -  Tutoriels -  Téléchargements -  Vidéos -  Interviews -  Qui sommes-nous -  Nous contacter -  Soutenir

Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express ethernet controller Debian 3 32 bits 1.03

Old Man Dan

Hello.

I am very new to linux but so far I am very pleased with the new (to me) system. Without but this old desktop would be headed to recycling. Thank you for creating Emmanbuntus.

I have been experiencing a frustrating problem of late however. I think my version is  Debian 3  32 bits 1.03

My Desktop only has ethernet and no wifi. The ethernet cable will provide internet accessibility to my laptop which isolates the problem to the desktop itself and not internet I believe.

A few days ago I turned on the Desktop and could not connect with Firefox or to NordVPN through terminal. A few restarts later and it still didn't work. After much research on drivers I decided to not risk downloading a new one as the current one installed seemed to be the latest.

I restarted the computer with my Boot Drive USB in place but backed out on a full reinstall and just restarted the desktop normally. To my surprise the Internet was back working. All was good until today when I tried to connect again and I am experiencing the same problem. I restarted as before with boot drive in place but not using it and still its not working. I reinstalled the driver from the boot drive and restarted but its still not working.

Does this sound like a hardware problem or a software problem?

Its a 13 year old HP Pavillion and I had to replace the hard drive to get it running so Hardware problems won't be a shocker for sure.

If anybody can give me advice on what to look for to confirm its hardware I would much appreciate it.

Thank you

alain-tux

• Global Moderator
Hello Dan.

Can you give feedback from: 
inxi -SCnz

I will not be available until Monday evening, but the information given by this order will certainly be of interest to other caregivers.(sorry i'm french, my english is very bad and I am not sure of "caregivers" maybe "helpers" is better?)This command tell us about your hardware and OS (emmabuntus DE3?)

and what about:
apt policy firmware-realtek Normally it is installed, it's just for confirmation. 

PS: 13 years is not old for computers, I have some 15 years (and more) old who runs perfectly with linux  ;)

« Modifié: janvier 29, 2021, 09:42:11 am par alain-tux »
PC : Desktop HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC | CPU : i7-2600 | RAM : 4GB | GPU : AMD RV730 PRO [Radeon HD 4650]
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?

Old Man Dan

Sorry if this formatting isn't right. I copy and pasted to usb and posted with a Mac.
These are the results of those command suggestions.

dan@Desktop:~$ inxi -SCnz
System:    Host: Desktop Kernel: 4.19.0-13-686 i686 bits: 32 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.4
           Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 bits: 64 type: MCP
           L2 cache: 4096 KiB
           Speed: 1600 MHz min/max: 1600/2400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1600 2: 1600 3: 1597
           4: 1598
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
dan@Desktop:~$ apt policy firmware-realtek
firmware-realtek:
  Installed: 20190114-2
  Candidate: 20190114-2
  Version table:
 *** 20190114-2 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/statu

Patrick

• Administrator
    • Emmabuntüs The distribution sleek, accessible, equitable
Hello Dan,

On your feedback about this command : inxi -SCnz, we don't see your Wifi interface.

Look the return of my laptop, you can see the Device-2 is a Wifi device :

emmabuntus@emmabuntus-pc:~$ inxi -SCnz
System:    Host: emmabuntus-pc Kernel: 4.19.0-13-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.4
           Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo P8700 bits: 64 type: MCP
           L2 cache: 3072 KiB
           Speed: 1600 MHz min/max: 1600/2534 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1600 2: 1600
Network:   Device-1: NVIDIA MCP79 Ethernet driver: forcedeth
           IF: enp0s10 state: down mac: <filter>
           Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k
           IF: wlp6s0 state: down mac: <filter>

For me the problem is your Wifi is not active, or is out off order.

Can you try this news commands :
- lspci
- ifconfig

Can you send the reference of your laptop for example HP pavillon 15-N053SF ?

Old Man Dan

Old Man Dan

Thank you Patrick.

I looked at those links and found my solution in the first one.

I downloaded the DKMS for my ethernet card from the link on that site and installed it on the desktop.
It replaced the r8169 driver that was currently installed and after a restart I have internet again.

This is the link for the DKMS package

https://packages.debian.org/buster/r8168-dkms

Thank you again to all who put themselves out there to help others.

Patrick

• Administrator
Thank you Dan for your feedback and good use of Emmabuntüs.

If you want to get involved to help others with Emmabuntüs, or Debian in general we have released our reuse method to recondition a computer in less than 3 minutes, see the tutorial and videos with English subtitles: https://emmabuntus.org/how-to-make-an-emmabuntus-refurbishing-key/

We are looking for English speaking contacts to help us spread this around the world and to set up solidarity projects in the image of this: https://emmabuntus.org/linux-format-216/

Old Man Dan

Well unfortunately I am back to no internet. I tried reloading the driver to no avail. I guess the next thing will be to reboot from the USB and see if that helps. Other than losing my saved downloads would that be a good idea to try?

alain-tux

• Global Moderator
Hello Dan.

With the translation I'm not sure what you want to do. With "reboot" you mean simply boot on a live usb, in which case your downloads have nothing to worry about.
Or are you thinking of reinstalling emmabuntusDE3? In case of reinstallation, if you have not made a separate "home" partition then you will have to save your files on another partition (or another hard drive) than the one where you are going to reinstall.
Otherwise, you will actually lose them.
In the event of a separate "home" partition, during reinstallation you just have to not format this partition during manual partitioning.

In any case, I strongly recommend that you back up these files.

Before reinstalling, did you watch with: inxi -nz which driver is used?
« Modifié: février 08, 2021, 02:12:51 am par alain-tux »
PC : Desktop HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC | CPU : i7-2600 | RAM : 4GB | GPU : AMD RV730 PRO [Radeon HD 4650]

Old Man Dan

Yes I mean to boot from a live USB.

I was thinking of reinstalling Emmabuntüs and starting over.

I will try to figure out how to save the files to a separate partition before I do that.

They are not that important just takes time to get them all back.

I was using r8169 driver but I replaced it with r8168 and it worked great for a few days.

Another quick question. I found that I have a 64 bit CPU according to the PC information program but I thought I had a 32 bit CPU.
Would the 64 bit installation have an advantage?

Thank you for you patience with me. I am learning from the beginning.

alain-tux

• Global Moderator
Another quick question. I found that I have a 64 bit CPU according to the PC information program but I thought I had a 32 bit CPU.
Would the 64 bit installation have an advantage?
I'll be categorical, maybe a little too much for Patrick.
But yes there are only advantages to having a 64 bit operating system when the processor allows it. 

The first reason is that there is less and less 32-bit software and it will not improve ...

The second is why have a ferrari and use it as a 2CV citroen?
Another analogy is like if on a 4-lane motorway, cars were forced to use only 2, leaving two free. If the developers of cpu and motherboards have decided to double the width of the bus, it is in the hope of passing more data with the same frequency.

The only problem is that, as the data circulates faster, the ram memory is necessarily saturated faster and swap accesses are more frequent.

I didn't ask you in my first inxi, how much ram your computer has, but if you have more than 2GB, you will only see advantages in using a 64-bit OS.
 I looked at the technical characteristics of your cpu, despite its age (Q4 2008), It has quite honorable performance: 2 physical cores @ 2.53 GHz and 3MB of cache memory, it remains to be seen if you have enough ram:
sudo inxi -m (in this case the "sudo" is necessary for inxi to access the data of the ram)

I have several computers with a cpu less powerful than yours, including one with only 3 GB of ram, which work fine with 64 bit OS.
 At worst, if you only have 2 GB, it will work fine, but if you want it to work better, a extra 2B DDR2 ram stick is cheap (especially if you buy it from chineses)

32-bit is disappearing, Emmabuntus is one of the last to offer it, but the day debian no longer offers 32-bit ... it will be over. It's a shame about old computers, but there's nothing we can do about it. Yours is not so old, you are lucky to be able to use a 64-bit OS ... Do it.
« Modifié: février 08, 2021, 06:28:17 am par alain-tux »

Patrick

• Administrator
Hello Dan.

Could you tell us if it was following the Debian 10.8 update that took place this weekend that you lost connection with Ethernet?

If this is the case, it is quite possible that to get the Internet back you will need to reinstall the r8168 driver because it is installed on the linux kernel and this weekend's update changed the linux kernel and the r8169 driver has been feedback : https://packages.debian.org/buster/r8168-dkms

Old Man Dan

I think I  had auto update on however I also think that I checked and it was still running r8168.
I have since reinstalled Emmabuntüs and it is whirling again for now. I have not updated since installing.